Abu Dhabi – Mubasher: Abu Dhabi’s Department of Energy (DoE) on Tuesday announced that it has started the operation of the world’s largest independent solar power plant “Noor Abu Dhabi”.

The project’s total cost amounted to AED 3.2 billion, generating 1,177 megawatts, DoE, the entity responsible for strengthening the pioneering status and sustainability of the energy sector in the UAE’s capital, said. 

The Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority (ADWEA) and a consortium of Japan’s Marubeni Corp and China’s JinkoSolar Holding were assigned to build and operate the plant.

It will double the capacity of the 550-megawatt Desert Sunlight Solar Farm, the current world’s largest solar power plant in California, the US.

DEWA owns almost 60% of the plant, while the international consortium owns the remaining 40% stake.

The establishment of the plant comes along with the UAE initiative “Clean Energy Strategy 2050”, which aims to increase the contribution of clean energy in the total energy output.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.