The United Arab Emirates has sent a plane carrying 46 tonnes of food supplies to Malawi, as part of the UAE’s ongoing assistance to friendly countries.
It supports Malawi’s efforts to meet children’s food and nutritional needs in a number of villages and regions in the African nation.
“Sending essential food supplies to the friendly Republic of Malawi is an embodiment of the good relations between the two countries,” said Khalifa Abdulrahman Mohamed Almarzooqi, the UAE’s non-resident ambassador to Malawi.
He underlined the UAE’s commitment to a humanitarian approach supporting emergency relief for countries in need, especially those suffering from natural disasters, including floods, droughts and hurricanes.
Almarzooqi said 5 tonnes of medical supplies were also sent to address the COVID-19 pandemic, and help medical teams.
Over the past 10 years, the UAE’s sent relief supplies to Malawi amounting to AED 85.3 million, covering several key sectors, including transport, social services, food, education, water, health and other sectors.
More from Local News
- UAE calls for self-restraint, talks over Ukraine situation
The UAE has called upon all parties in the Ukraine dispute to exercise self-restraint, de-escalate, and put an end to the crisis through dialogue and diplomatic means.
- UAE federal entities’ Ramadan working hours announced
The UAE government has announced the official working hours for ministries and other federal entities during Ramadan.
- H.H. Sheikh Mohammed honours Government Excellence Award winners
The winners of the latest edition of the Mohammed Bin Rashid Government Excellence Award have been honoured at Expo 2020 Dubai.
- DIFC transforms into open-air Sculpture Park
Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) is transforming into an open-air art gallery with the unveiling of DIFC Sculpture Park.
- 502 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE has confirmed 502 new cases of COVID-19 from 386,656 tests in the past 24 hours.
- 3 arrested in UAE for attempting to smuggle drugs inside fish
Three people have been arrested in Abu Dhabi for attempting to smuggle 38 kgs of crystal methamphetamine concealed inside fish guts.
- UAE votes for resolution on Ukraine conflict
The UAE has voted for the resolution adopted in the UN General Assembly emergency special session on Ukraine.
- New savings scheme for Dubai Government’s expat employees
A savings scheme has been launched for expatriates employed by the Government of Dubai, in a first of its kind initiative in the region.
- UAE eases land border entry procedures
Starting March 3, the UAE’s previously announced air-travel protocols will also apply to people arriving via land border points.
- UAE pledges $5 million in aid for Ukraine
The UAE has pledged US$5 million in humanitarian assistance to support civilians affected by the situation in Ukraine.
- Dubai gears up for inaugural World Police Summit
Dubai is gearing up to host the inaugural World Police Summit this month, bringing together law enforcement departments and organisations from both the public and private sector.
- 519 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE has confirmed 519 new cases of COVID-19 from 430,493 tests in the past 24 hours.
- Dubai revises face-mask and COVID Close Contact rules for schools
Staff and students in Dubai private schools will no longer need to isolate even if they are considered “close contacts” of a positive COVID-19 case.
- UAE assumes presidency of UN Security Council
The UAE has assumed the presidency of the United Nations Security Council for the month of March.
- No fee increase at Dubai schools next year
Dubai’s private schools will not be eligible for any fee increase for the 2022-23 academic year, following the release of the latest Education Cost Index (ECI).
- H.H. Sheikh Mohamed holds talks with Vladimir Putin
His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, has held discussions with Russian President Vladimir Putin by phone.
- Abu Dhabi and Dubai now linked by direct railway line
The railway link between Abu Dhabi and Dubai has been completed.
- New abra, ferry station opens in Dubai
A new abra and ferry station has opened at Souk Al Marfa on Deira Islands.
- New UAE initiative to tackle food wastage
The UAE is taking further steps to tackle food wastage and encourage responsible consumption.
- Expo 2020’s country pavilions to stay open for extra hour
Expo 2020 Dubai’s country pavilions will stay open for an extra hour during its final month.