The UAE has agreed to host 5,000 Afghan nationals evacuated from Afghanistan on their way to third countries.
It comes following a request from the United States.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said that the UAE will host the Afghan nationals on a temporary basis, after which time they would travel on to other nations.
The evacuees will travel to the UAE from Kabul on US aircraft in the coming days.
The humanitarian gesture follows the UAE’s recent facilitation of dozens of flights carrying hundreds of foreign citizens from Afghanistan, including diplomats and support staff from a number of countries and non-governmental organisations to UAE airports.
The UAE has also facilitated the evacuation of approximately 8,500 foreign nationals utilising its aircraft and airports from Afghanistan.
Sultan Mohammed Al Shamsi, Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation for International Development Affairs at the Ministry, said the latest initiative was evidence of its commitment to strengthening international cooperation, particularly in times of need.
“The UAE is always seeking peaceful, multilateral solutions, and is keen to continue its work alongside its international partners to advance efforts to assist the Afghan people during this time of uncertainty,” Al Shamsi said.
More from Local News
- UAE announces new fines, penalties for breaking COVID-19 rules
An updated list of fines and penalties has been issued in the UAE, aimed at combatting the spread of COVID-19.
- 1,066 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE confirmed 1,066 new cases of COVID-19 from 301,430 tests on Saturday.
- New UAE bus routes to serve Expo 2020 visitors
Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has unveiled a transportation plan to serve visitors of Expo 2020 from around the UAE.
- 1,070 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE confirmed 1,070 new cases of COVID-19 from 311,295 tests on Friday.
- Austria added to Abu Dhabi’s Green List
Austria has been added to Abu Dhabi’s ‘green list’ for quarantine-free travel.
- UAE administers 56,131 COVID-19 vaccine doses
As many as 56,131 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in the UAE in the past 24 hours.
- Dubai Smart Police Stations process over 66,000 transactions
As many as 66,432 transactions were processed across 16 Dubai Smart Police Stations (SPS) during the first half of 2021.
- Sharjah Police honours man for saving child’s life
A UAE national has been honoured for saving the life of a child who accidentally trapped himself in his parent’s car while fiddling with the lock system.
- Dubai Metro timings extended to accommodate DXB arrivals
Dubai Metro will operate for two additional hours on two consecutive Fridays this month to accommodate passengers arriving at DXB.
- Abu Dhabi eases entry rules for vaccinated people
Abu Dhabi has eased its rules for vaccinated individuals entering the emirate from within the UAE.
- UAE supports evacuation efforts in Afghanistan
The UAE has been helping several countries and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) with their evacuation efforts in Afghanistan, on humanitarian grounds.
- Fire breaks out in Deira, hotel evacuated
No injuries or casualties have been reported after a fire broke out in a hotel in Dubai’s Al Rigga area on Thursday.
- Australia thanks UAE for helping evacuate its citizens from Afghanistan
Australia has thanked the UAE for helping evacuate its citizens from Afghanistan.
- 1,077 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE confirmed 1,077 new cases of COVID-19 from 318,348 tests on Thursday.
- H.H. Sheikh Mohamed holds talks with French President
His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, held talks with French President Emmanuel Macron.
- Abu Dhabi ends National Disinfection Drive today
The National Disinfection Drive in the UAE capital has ended today.
- Over 2,000 new parking spaces come up in Al Ain
As many as 2,175 additional paid parking spaces have been created in two areas of Al Ain City.
- UAE administers 59,727 vaccine doses
Another 59,727 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in the UAE in the past 24 hours.
- October deadline set for Abu Dhabi residents to sort health cover
Abu Dhabi residents have until October 23 to get their health cover in order, or face a AED 300 fine for every month until they enrol in a health plan.
- Abu Dhabi offers COVID booster jabs without appointments
All SEHA centres in Abu Dhabi now offer COVID-19 booster jabs for children, senior citizens and residents without having to make a prior appointment.