A study conducted by 3M’s 2022 State of Science Index (SOSI) shows that 91% of UAE residents trust science and appreciate the role technology plays in everyday life more than the rest of the world. Further findings from the 3M poll regarding UAE citizens’ views on science and technology are as follows:
- 88% trust scientists
- 37% of people completely agree that they defend science when it is questioned (vs 23% global average)
- 76% agreed on the importance of science in their everyday life (vs. 52% global average)
The 3M study also revealed that individuals in the UAE are more interested in science now than they were in 2021, with 76% saying it is important to them in their daily lives today compared to 68.
A significant potential for more scientists to engage directly with the public on news and social media is provided by the fact that 92% of UAE respondents desire to learn more from scientists about their work.
“The UAE is a pioneer in AI, automation, and self-driving vehicles. With these technologies set to revolutionize how we live, work and travel in the coming decades, there is no doubt that the UAE will be at the forefront of developing and rolling out these technologies worldwide while becoming a leading center of the Fourth Industrial Revolution,” added Laszlo Svinger, Vice-President and Managing Director, MEA at 3M.
Science and its power to solve the climate crisis
92% of individuals in the UAE believe that people should develop a scientific mindset in order to contribute to making the world more sustainable when it comes to the environment (slightly higher than the global average of 88 percent ). The poll also demonstrated the urgency of the climate catastrophe, with 79 percent of UAE residents identifying climate change as a serious environmental issue and voicing their worries.
“It is promising to see the deep trust held in science and technology in the UAE. The nation’s leadership has successfully placed science, technology, and sustainability at the core of its transition to a knowledge-based economy with wide support from its citizens and residents. With a firm belief in the power of science and its commitment to global climate change, the United Arab Emirates is well placed to host next year’s COP28 UN Climate Change Conference,” said Laszlo Svinger, Vice-President and Managing Director MEA at 3M.
Innovation is the key to a smarter lifestyle
The UAE serves as a testing ground for cutting-edge innovations and has gained considerable public support for its scientific endeavors, with 91% of the population anticipating a future in which they would depend more heavily on science and technology.
The 3M research found that in the UAE:
- 41% believe that self-driving cars will become a regular part of life within the next five years
- 89% are confident in the prospect of riding in an autonomous or self-driving vehicle where there is no human driver
- 83% think artificial technology (AI) is an exciting technology that impacts their daily lives versus 65% globally
- 22% believe space travel will become a regular part of life within the next five years
- 80% are likely to travel to space when it becomes accessible