The UAE has begun operating an air bridge to Khartoum to support those affected by the torrential rains and floods in Sudan.
The initiative is based under the directives of President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and the supervision of His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s Representative in Al Dhafra Region and Chairman of the Emirates Red Crescent (ERC).
The first aircraft has left the UAE, carrying 30 tonnes of various shelter materials, and will be followed by three additional planes.
An ERC delegation has already set base in Sudan to provide victims with support and assistance, and supervise the relief operations.
The air bridge will deliver aid to over 140,000 victims and displaced persons across a number of Sudanese states that have been most impacted, including Blue Nile, Khartoum and Gezira.
The relief supplies include around 10,000 tents, 28,000 food and medical aid parcels, 120 tonnes of various shelter materials, as well as other relief items.
The ERC delegation has also been providing large quantities of humanitarian aid acquired from local markets in Sudan.
More from Local News
- Dubai Metro to extend operating hours this weekend
The operating hours of some of the Dubai Metro stations will be extended by two hours on August 27 and August 28.
- No changes to Dubai private schools’ COVID protocols
The back-to-school COVID-19 protocols for private schools in Dubai remain unchanged.
- H.H. Sheikh Mohammed: Women are soul, spirit of UAE
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, has issued a special message in the lead up to Emirati Women’s Day.
- UAE set for Emirati Women’s Day celebration
The UAE will mark Emirati Women’s Day on Sunday to celebrate the country’s progress in the field of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Back-to-school: Shorter working hours for UAE federal staff
All employees of UAE ministries and federal entities can opt for flexible working hours so they can drop-off or pick-up their children on the first day of school.
- Driver arrested in Ras Al Khaimah after dangerous stunt video goes viral
A 25-year-old driver has been arrested in Ras Al Khaimah after videos of his dangerous stunts on Saih Al Barirat road went viral online.
- 580 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE has confirmed 580 new cases of COVID-19 from 227,878 tests in the past 24 hours.
- UAE calls to end violence in Palestinian territories and Israel
The UAE has called to end the cycle of violence in the Palestinian territories and Israel.
- UAE President holds talks with Greek leaders
UAE President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan held talks with Greek President Katerina Sakellaropoulou and Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis on Thursday.
- Meet the first female Emirati Captain
An Etihad pilot has made UAE aviation history, becoming the first female Emirati Captain in a commercial airline.
- UAE President accorded official reception in Athens
UAE President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has arrived in Athens for an official visit to Greece.
- Some Dubai schools clarify on PCR testing rule for students
With the new academic year set to kick-off next week, some private schools in Dubai have confirmed that PCR tests will not be mandatory for students, aged 12 and above, and staff.
- UAE President heads to Greece on official visit
President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan will arrive in Greece on Thursday as part of an official visit.
- Etihad to plant a mangrove tree for every economy space seat sold
Etihad Airways has committed to plant a mangrove tree for every Economy Space seat sold.
- Abu Dhabi enforces fines for illegal e-bikers, cyclists
Bicycle and electric scooter users who fail to follow safety rules or ride in prohibited areas could face fines between AED 200 and AED 500.
- 593 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE has confirmed 593 new cases of COVID-19 from 236,071 tests in the past 24 hours.
- UAE calls on Russia and Ukraine to end conflict
The UAE has called on leaders from both Russia and Ukraine to commit to ending the conflict as it reaches the six month mark.
- Free PCR tests for UAE school students at over 200 centres
Public school students and staff across the UAE can get free PCR tests done at over 200 centres ahead of the start of the new academic year.
- UAE President holds talks with regional leaders
The leaders of the UAE, Egypt, Bahrain and Jordan have held talks aimed at enhancing Arab partnerships.
- 602 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE has confirmed 602 new cases of COVID-19 from 219,196 tests in the past 24 hours.