The Telecommunications and Digital Government Regulatory Authority (TDRA) of the United Arab Emirates has released Digital Lifestyle in the UAE in 2022 Report.
The report shows that the UAE leads the world in various digital life indices.
According to the state news agency, WAMTDRA’s report found that, according to the data, the UAE ranks first globally in social media usage, second in the world and first in the Arab region in internet usage, ninth in the world and first in the Arab region in e-commerce, according to relevant international reports.
The UAE also ranks first globally in terms of mobile internet speed, with an average internet speed of 134.48 megabytes per second (Mbps) in the country compared to the global average of 30 Mbps.
The report also noted that the UAE was the first country in the region to establish a digital government in 2001.
— WAM English (@WAMNEWS_ENG) August 30, 2022
Other key findings of the report suggest that the UAE ranks…
- Ranked 13th globally in terms of home internet speed, the country achieved an average internet speed of 124.7 Mbps compared to the global average of 63.46 Mbps
- Internet usage is the second highest in the world at 99% compared to the global average of 62.5%, which means the UAE has 9.935 million internet users
- Time spent using mobile internet was 4 hours and 35 minutes, ranking 12th globally, compared to the global average of 3 hours and 43 minutes.The country ranks 11th globally in terms of time spent using the Internet
- 10th in the world for the average time spent using the Internet across all devices, whether computer or mobile, with an average of 8 hours and 36 minutes compared to the global average of 6 hours and 58 minutes
- In terms of average time spent on social media per capita, it ranks first globally at 106%, compared to the global average of 58.4%. Social media engagement in UAE also exceeds 200% of global population
- Among the top 20 countries that use digital video as a learning source, it ranks in the top 10 countries with 27.6% for sharing digital visual blogs
- 90% of the top 10 countries in video games
- Among the top 10 countries with the percentage of the population that owns cryptocurrencies (11.4%)
- 26.4% of the world’s top 20 countries in terms of the proportion of the population receiving telemedicine
- E-commerce ranks ninth globally, with the country’s average annual share of digital spending per capita at around $3,775, compared to the global average of $1,766
- 14th in the world in weekly online purchases, with 59% of the population purchasing their needs online every week
- Ranked 13th in weekly online purchases, using mobile phones, with 32.4% of the UAE population buying their needs online by phone every week
- Among the top 20 countries in terms of digital content, 68.1% of the population buys miscellaneous digital content on the Internet, it ranks ninth globally in terms of weekly household food purchases, with 33.4% of the UAE population buying their weekly Online food needs.
- Time spent on social media at 4 hours 35 minutes, 12th globally, and 11th globally in terms of average social media platforms used
- It ranks in the top 20 for the use of social media to search for brands with 48.8%; it ranks 13th globally with 28% for the use of social media for business-related purposes.
- The UAE has 82.5% of Facebook ads, fifth in the world, compared to 34.1% globally; YouTube social ads are fifth in the world, at 93.4%, compared to 37.7% globally
- Instagram ads accounted for the sixth in the world, reaching 60.2%, and 23.9% in the world; Douyin ads accounted for the second in the world, reaching 81.3%, and 15.9% in the world
- LinkedIn ranks third globally in percentage of ads at 69%, compared to a global average of 14.6%; Snapchat ranks eighth globally in percentage of ads, at 37.2%, compared to a global average of 9%